If you’ve been feeling less-than-amorous lately, there could be a lot of reasons behind it. Age, stress, fluctuating hormones, and a wide variety of other factors contribute to flagging female libido. There’s nothing wrong with you as a woman. That sexy, passionate woman is still in there. You just may need a little bit of help getting her out and about again. Here’s how!
What Causes Low Female Sex Drive?
Female sexual responsiveness is much more complex than a male’s. Sexual arousal and desire is based on relationship factors, stress levels, and hormonal fluctuations as well as emotional and physical well-being. A woman’s libido can be inhibited by a wide variety of factors.
Feelings of disconnectedness with a partner, certain medications such as antidepressants or sexual problems including pain during intercourse are just a few of the factors that can contribute to low female libido. Other factors include medical diseases, chronic alcohol or drug use, fatigue, mental health problems, negative body image, history of sexual trauma or physical abuse, and low self-esteem.
Natural Ways to Enhance Female Libido
Communication – Sometimes, we’re not as connected to our partners as we’d like to be. Stress, work, children, and unresolved conflicts can shut down the honest communication two people need to have a satisfying sex life. If your libido has been waning, schedule some time to talk with your partner. Make a date and talk openly and honestly about your feelings, needs and desires. If you feel you can’t talk about sensitive subjects out loud, exchange letters.
Diet – There’s a large connection between food and sex. Women who eat a diet heavy in processed foods such as fast food, microwave, and canned foods may have a chronic lack of libido. Libido and fertility are directly connected to the amount of nutrition in our environment. This was built into our DNA to ensure survival of the species. To enhance female libido, try a whole food diet with a special emphasis on mood-enhancing foods such as dark chocolate, avocados, celery, oysters, and sirloin steak!
Supplements – In a society where the Standard American Diet is the norm, many of our meals have very little nutritional content. This can result in vitamin deficiencies that contribute to low female sex drive. Adding some natural, whole-food supplements to your diet can help get your love life back on track.
- B Vitamins – Oftentimes, stress and fatigue can get in the way of a healthy, active sex life. Adding a B complex vitamin supplement to your diet can help boost your mood and help you better able to deal with stress. It can also help increase feelings of well-being and connectedness while decreasing your anxiety.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D deficiency is a common vitamin deficiency that can affect every aspect of your health, including your sex drive. Vitamin D naturally enhances gonadal function in both genders and balances estrogen hormone levels. Though most avoid the sun for fear of getting skin cancer, adequate vitamin D levels can be obtained from just 15 minutes of unprotected sun exposure each day.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E not only stimulates the immune system, it helps increase circulation to the genital areas and increases female sexual responsiveness. This includes swelling, lubrication, and smooth muscle movements.
- Magnesium – If severe stress, depression or anxiety is a factor in your lack of desire for sex, adding more magnesium-rich foods to your diet can help. Magnesium is responsible for over 300 enzymatic reactions in the brain and helps maintain good neurological health. This mineral is also essential for the production and regulation of female sex hormones.
- Ginko Biloba – This natural herb has been reported to enhance female sexual responsiveness, desire, orgasm, and resolution.
Pheromones – If you’ve never thought of trying synthetic pheromones before, you might be in for a pleasant surprise. When most people think of synthetic pheromones, they think of single men out looking for a good time. In reality, both men and women can use pheromone to enhance their libido, sexual responsiveness, confidence, and feelings of attractiveness to their mate.
Pheromones don’t have to just be used by singles looking for a partner, they can also be used to enhance your current relationship. The type of pheromone you’ll use will depend on the type of response you’re looking for. For example, Edge Trust can help increase feelings of trust, connectedness, and romance between you and your partner while Pheromax women’s unscented pheromone product can really enhance feelings of lust, passion, and desire in the bedroom.
You may not feel in the mood right now but you’ll get there. Taking care of your physical and emotional well-being is the first step to getting your libido back to what you consider normal. Next, comes taking care of the outside.
Pamper yourself, join a gym, take up a relaxing hobby, and more importantly, make time for your partner. Commit to having a date night at least once a month to reconnect. And don’t be afraid to spice things up once in the while. There’s nothing shameful about bringing sexual toys or adult movies into the bedroom!